Jennifer Gutsell joins Alexa to discuss the controversy surrounding Yoel's experience interviewing at UCLA. They focus on a post, written by Alexa, in which she pushes back against defenses of "viewpoint diversity" and argues that the graduate petition advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) was a brave effort that should be taken seriously. Jennifer elaborates on these ideas, suggesting that there are some views that are not up for debate, and emphasizing the care that is required when having theoretical discussions without a personal stake in the matter. Alexa and Jennifer go on to connect these ideas to a paper written by Kevin Durrheim in which he proposes that psychology's emphasis on our progressive accomplishments silences the deeper reality of racism within our field.
- Two Psychologists Four Beers on Untappd
- Against Anti-DEI Rhetoric (Alexa's Post)
- Conversational Silencing of Racism in Psychological Science: Toward Decolonization in Practice - Kevin Durrheim, 2023
- Episode 263: Free Yoel | Very Bad Wizards podcast
- A Political 'Dress' and Test - by Matthew Lieberman
- A review of White‐centering practices in multiracial research in social psychology - Garay - 2021 - Social and Personality Psychology Compass - Wiley Online Library